Two Bros. BBQ Market

6/30/13 11:00am - A dozen patrons joined my family as we all waited for Two Bros to open up on a rainy Sunday morning.  This is the bbq that graces the cover of Daniel Vaughn's new book "The Prophets of Smoked Meat"  This joint also recently made Texas Monthly top 50.

I scored Two Bros an 89 out of 100.  This Reserve Grand Champion Texas BBQ.

Smoke: Oak.  Real Brick pit BBQ proudly on display in smokehouse located in a fabulous backyard patio playground under giant oak trees.  Bring the kids and stay long.

Brisket:  Very Good. A nice thick slice with 1/4in smoke ring beneath some serious black thick bark.  Tenderness was near perfect fall apart no knife needed.  I marked it down a point because the bark was a little tough and chewy kinda like beef jerky(yum).  I wonder how they did that, because I have never experienced a bark like this.  Intense full smoke flavor.  Overall flavor was very good and a great rub for that boost of extra yumminess.  No sauce needed at all.

Ribs:  Very Good.  I tried both the spare ribs and baby backs. The spare ribs had a serious rub and full smoke flavor.  The baby backs have as subtle cherry glaze for a nice sweetness.  Both ribs had the membrane still on the bones which irritates me so much.  Both ribs were slightly on the tough of tender side.  A little tearing and slight dirty bone.  Both ribs has full smoke flavor and great taste.  No sauce needed at all.  These ribs will not disappoint.

Sausage:  Good.  A course ground pork sausage with mild traditional spice an very little aftertaste.  The casing was tough and it was over the top greasy.  Use the sauce.

SauceS:  Very Good.  Sauces is plural because this joint has three!  The owner is some fancy chef and these sauces prove it.  One is sweet, one is tangy and one is dark and mysterious.  Get all three and have fun dipping everything in each one.  The sweet is has a honey Dijon mustardy flavor.  The tangy is an orange mustardy sauce like City Market and Salt Lick.  The dark mysterious sauce has molasses and intense coffee flavor.  Coffee is a common ingredient in bbq sauce but this is the first time its been the dominant flavor.  The sweet was my favorite.  The coffee is overpowering so use it sparingly.
PS:  These sides deserve some attention.  The mac and cheese is the best I've had and a must.  The potato salad a close second.  GRAPE KOOL AID!! Are you kidding me!  It was like I was 7 yrs old again.  I had four cups like I was 7 yrs old again.
Two Bros. BBQ Market on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment