Kozy BBQ

Peace, Love, BBQ

10/3/14 12pm - "Wha chu wont, baby?".  I don't quite understand it, but I love it when old women call me baby.  That was my greeting to this BBQ trailer located in the 5th Ward, catercorner from the original Kozy Kitchen.  Side of the trailer reads "Peace, Love, BBQ".  Words to live by.

I scored Kozy BBQ a 78 out of 100.  This is Regional Texas BBQ.  This was my second visit.  Four months prior the score was 79, but I was hoping I caught them on a bad day.  Consistency is the toughest skill to master with BBQ.  I really wanted to give this place high marks because wood fired Que is so hard to find within city limits.  If you want real pit BBQ you don't have to stand in line for give them a try.
Real wood fire pit BBQ
Smoke:  Pinon & Post Oak.  A large Steel offset smoker is located in the Trailer with dual stacks smokin!.  I was bathed in blue smoke as I waited for my real wood fired BBQ.  If was kinda like a baptism.
                                 

Brisket: Good. A 1/8in smoke ring beneath a thin black bark.  Slice was a tad overcooked.  It fell apart, there was no resistance left to hold it together.  Full smoke flavor, could not detect any seasoning.  It finished a little dry.  Use the sauce.  The slice from my previous visit was the exact opposite, under cooked and chewy.

Ribs:  Fair.  Consistently bad is not good.  These meaty spare ribs are a bit chewy.  Great smoke and black pepper seasoning.  They taste great but you need strong teeth and a toothpick.  Use the sauce.

Sausage:  Very Good.  A homemade beef circle link like central Texas and spiced up like East Texas. Strong bold spice, cumin and smoke flavor.  Long lasting aftertaste.  Nice smoke ring but overheated a bit.  No sauce needed. I gave their jalapeno sausage higher marks last time.

Sauce:  Excellent.  A thick red very sweet sauce.  A great flavor boost to all the meats.  I like how it worked with the spicy sausage.  Good enough to drink.  Great to deep bread in.  Would make any sandwich remarkable.
The dining room


The glory days


                                         


Kozy BBQ on Urbanspoon






No comments:

Post a Comment