Spring Creek Barbeque


3/13/14 1:16pm - I did not have a lot of time for lunch, so I decided to hit up on some franchise BBQ places I have been avoiding.  As I was going through the cafeteria style line it felt a lot like Luby's. The jello next to the cash register confirmed my deja vu.  The Barbecue Fiend blog also confirmed my out of Luby's body experience as he wrote about the very same.  Luby's meets Texas BBQ.  With 31 locations across Texas this chain is huge.

I scored Spring Creek BBQ a 76 out of 100.  This is Regional Texas BBQ.

Smoke:  Hickory.  As I walked up to the front door, I got excited when I spotted two large smoke stacks. However, inside were two large black steel cladded Ole Hickorys on full display.  We use gas and we're proud of it!  Oh well as least you know what your getting.

Brisket:  Good.  Standard gasser 1/8in smoke ring beneath a paper thin bark.  Spring Creek definitely understands how important tenderness is for good BBQ.  My slices were near perfect tender.  No knife needed. Smoke was mild to faint.  No noticeable rub.  Use the sauce.

Ribs:  Very Good. Once again near perfect tenderness but slightly on the overcooked side.  Soft cake bite with clean bone.  They throw the rack on a grill for a nice char flavor.  There was a faint rub seasoning. I liked these ribs.  No sauce needed.

Sausage:  Poor.  I just don't like this style of sausage and its not Texas style sausage.  A very fine ground pork link with no traditional spice just salt.  No after taste unless salt counts.  Its greasy bologna.  Use the sauce or skip all together.

Sauce:  Excellent.  They sell this stuff by the jar and I bet sales are good.  A very sweet tomato based sauce with a little bit of smokiness.  This stuff was so good I dipped my fresh baked yeast roll in it. I thought about buying a jar but knew the wife would comment about the 6 other bottles of unopened sauce.

Spring Creek Barbeque on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment